Siddhavatam is a village in Kadapa district in Andhra Pradesh. It is located in Siddavatam mandal of Rajampeta revenue division.
Siddavatam Fort, constructed in 1303 CE, lies on the banks of the Pennar River. The fort extends over an area of 30 acres (12 ha). Visitors can view gateways and decorated pillars at the two ends of the fort. Top of the fort has been adorned with carvings of Gajalakshmi. It is noteworthy that the 17 bastions which once used to protect the region are still visible in the fort.
The fort houses an ancillary passage which allows the visitors to gain access even after the closure of the main gates. It is considered as the gateway to Dakshina Kashi. The temples and masjid present inside its premise include the Ranganatha Swamy Temple.
The fort here was much developed under the rule of king Varadha Raju, who is the son-in-law of Sri Krishna Deva Raya. This fort was just a mud fort at the time the area was ruled by "Matli Rajulu". Later it came under the control of Varadha Raju.
Earlier it was a part of Udayagiri Kingdom. Matli Yellama Raju used to support the second Venkatapathi Rayalu in many wars. For this favour, Siddavatam was given to Matli Yellama Raju as a gift along with some other places. Later Matli Anantha Raju remodelled the fort as Rock Fort.
Later Aurangajeb's commander Mir Jumla II 1682 shah nawaz khan captured Siddavatam along with other places in the region. Later Aarkatu Nawabs occupied the town. In 1714 Abdul Nabi Khan, who was ruling Kadapa conquered Siddavatam. This place was also ruled by Mayana Nawabs for some period. In 1799, it went into the hands of British East India Company.
From 1807 to 1812 Siddavatam was the district headquarters. However, since it is on the bank of river Penna, every time there was a flood, the place was marooned from other places of the district giving rise to administerial difficulties and subsequently the district headquarters was shifted to Kadapa.
The closest airport near this temple is in Kadapa.
Kadapa is the nearest Train Station.
This fort is well connected by Kadapa.
One can visit the fort throughout the year.
St Mary's Cathedral: Consecrated in 1992, the St Mary's Cathedral stands out amongst Kadapa's many churches.
Bhagawan Mahaveer District Archaeological Museum: Established in 1982, the museum has a modest collection of inscriptions, statues, weapons, stone tools and miniature paintings.
Pedda Dargah: The Ameen Peer Dargah or the pedda Dargah (literally 'big shrine'), as it is colloquially known, attracts not only devotees cutting across class and religious lines, but also celebrities.
Proddatur: The city of Proddatur is an important business and trading centre. While there is not much to see here.
Danavulapadu: Jainism flourished in Andhra Pradesh for more than a thousand years-roughly from 2nd century BCE to 13th century CE.
Brahmamgari Matham: The temple of Brahmamagari Matham marks the place where the 1 7th century seer Pothuluri Veera Brahmendra Swamy attained samadhi(enlightenment).