Bobbili Fort

font size decrease font size decrease font size increase font size increase font size
 
The town and kingdom of Bobbili was founded during the 17th century by Pedda Rayudu, the 15th descendant of the Rajah of Venkatagiri. The town was originally named "Pedda-puli" ("The Big Tiger") after Sher Muhammad Khan, the Nawab of Srikakulam who granted it as a gift to the maharajah of VENKATGIRI for his services in his southern campaigns. However, with time, the town became known as "pebbuli", then "Bebbuli" and finally "Bobbili".The battle of Bobbili in 1750, is one of the significant episodes in the history of the state of Andhra Pradesh. Vizianagaram kings won the war with the help of French General Marquis de Bussy. This battle gave the glamour of eternal bravery to Bobbili name.
icon 18.574821 83.357799